According to Evans Data Corporation, there were 26,4 million software developers in the world in 2019, a number that in 2023 is expected to grow to 27,7 million and 28.7 million in 2024. The USA is taking the leading position by the number of software developers reached 4,2 million.
According to IDC calculations, in 2018 the number of software developers in the world grew to 22,3 million, while in 2014 there were only 18,5 million programmers.
Slashdata presented their statistics telling there were 18.9 million software developers in the world in 2019 and this number is going to reach 45 million in 2030.
|Year||Number of Software Developers|
Evans Data Corporation reported there were around 4,4 million software engineers in North America in 2016.
According to DataUSA, the number of people employed as software developers, applications & systems software in the US reached 1,36 million in 2017.
Don’t Quit Your Day Job gives an estimate pretty close to Evans Data Corporation – 4,2 million software engineers in the USA as of 2019. This was calculated while trying to figure out how many developers there are across different US states.
The Number of Software Developers in the US By Different Sources
|Number of Software Developers in the USA||4,4 million||1,36 million||4,2 million|
The number of software engineers in the US
It’s worth noting that estimated in 2017 the 4,2 million includes technical writers, electrical and hardware engineers, CAD programmers, actuaries, statisticians, economists, mathematicians, and generally anyone who writes or reads code on a daily basis, in addition to software developers. If we only take the “classic” definition of a software developer, we’re actually only looking at around 3,4 million people.
Top 10 US states with the highest percentage (%) of software developers
The highest percentage of programmers is concentrated in the Washington DC area (6.46%). Virginia and Maryland followed next, with 4.43% and 4.41% respectively.(Source)
|State||Percentage (%)of Software Developers|
Top 10 US states with the highest percentage of software developers
Top 10 US states with the highest number of software developers
In terms of raw numbers, California leads the way with 628 thousand developers. Texas and New York come in second and third with 325 thousand and 218 thousand respectively.
|State||Number of Software Developers|
Top 10 US states with the largest number of software engineersWHY HIRE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS IN UKRAINE
How Many Software Engineers Are There in Europe?
According to StackOverflow, the number of software developers in Europe in 2016 was 4,7 million, which in 2018 reached 5,5 million. Germany has the largest number of software developers – around 901K. The UK and France round up the list of top 3 countries with the largest number of software developers reaching 849K and 533K respectively.
|Country||Number of Software Developers|
The number of software developers in Europe
The Number of Software Developers by Technology
Still, we’ve found some rough estimates online that you may find useful:
- The number of Java developers varies significantly. In 2003, Java developers were totaled between 1,5 and 3 million; in 2007, when Java became open source, this number had risen to 6 million. The Global Developer Population and Demographics Survey, conducted by Evans Data Corporation, reported that the Java developer population was 9 million in 2009 making Java one of the most used programming languages worldwide (source).
- According to SlashData, the number of Java developers in the world was 7,1 million as of September 2018 (source).
- As for 2019, the number will reach 7,6 million (source).
- The number of PHP developers was 5 million as of 2013 (source) and 5,5 million as of September 2018 (source).
- In 2016, the number of mobile app developers in the world was 12 million, which is expected to reach 14 million by 2020.
- According to EvansData, there are 5,9 million Android developers and 2,8 million iOS developers in the world. (source)
- Speaking about the number of .NET developers worldwide, there were about 6 million .NET developers according to an old study dated back to 2004. Today, according to many guesses there are approximately 7-8 million .NET developers. The majority of them use C#.
- In 2015 there were 4,4 million C++ software developers (source). Nowadays the number has increased slightly and reached 5,4 million (source).
- According to SlashData, the number of Python developers was 7 million in 2018. Nowadays, Python is gradually getting closer to Java in terms of popularity (source).
- The number of C# software developers in the world was estimated to be 6,2 million in 2018 (source).
Worldwide programming language statistics
Software Engineer Demographics
All in all, there’s not really a way to check how accurate the above data is. It’s not that we doubt the credibility of the sources we used — it’s the definitions that pose the problem. Data Evans Corporation, for instance, counts everyone who’s actively involved in the creation of software from rank and file coders to team leaders and managers, all the way up to CTOs.
Both Data USA and DQYDJ used data provided by the US Census Bureau but somehow ended up with very different figures. Again, this most likely is the result of differing definitions.
The one thing that we know for sure is that the number of people writing code is only going to grow in the coming years. The BLS predicts that by 2024, the number of jobs for software and app developers will have increased by 12.5% compared to 2014, and the situation won’t be much different in the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that software developer jobs will increase by 24% between 2016 and 2026. According to Burning Glass Labor Insights, there were more than 227,000 software developer job postings in the second quarter of 2018 in comparison to 176,530 during the same period in 2017. The increase was nearly 51,000.
The number of software developer job postings
Other Interesting Software Developer Statistics
Regular surveys conducted by Evans Data Corporation, DataUSA and Stack Overflow offer plenty of software developer statistics. Below are the ones we consider the most interesting:
- According to Evans Data, the median software developer age is 36 (EMEA region — 40, North America — 39, Latin America — 35, APAC region — 34). According to datausa.io, the median software, applications & systems software developer age in the US is 39.8, and male employees are generally 0.507 years younger than female.
- According to the Dou.ua 2018 Survey, the average age of software developers in Ukraine is 21-29.
- 27.5 % of developers in the world are women
- 80.7% of Software developers, applications and systems software in the US are men, the percentage of female software developers is 19,3%
- According to Developer Survey Results 2019, nearly 45% of professional developers learned to code less than 10 years ago.
- Women write their first code later than men
- 76.5% of software developers indicated having a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 6 million developers are involved in Big Data and Advanced Analytics
- 29% of developers worldwide, or 6,452,000 in all, were using some form of AI or ML as of 2018 and an additional 5.8 million are expected to start using AI or ML within the next six months.
- 2 million developers work on IoT apps
- 4 million developers (26%) use cloud-based development environments.
- 33% of women stated that the most important driver of their development work lies in their personal curiosity and interest in the technologies they use, whereas this was true of only 22% of men.